First Unitarian Church of San José
Building a New Way: Creating Space for Radical Inclusion
A Capital Campaign for the 21st Century
New Ways for a New Era
The challenges of the last 18 months have shown the First Unitarian Church of San José the need for new ways of being as a congregation. These new ways call us to increase our flexibility and engage a deeper, wider view of inclusion. When our building embodies these goals, we can make our mission—to Make Love Visible in all we say and do—soar.
Building with a Mission
We are moving toward a Capital Campaign titled Building a New Way: Creating Space for Radical Inclusion.
Here are a few of the campaign’s projects:
- Outside: Replacing the roof and repainting the exterior signal the vitality of this congregation. All are invited to enter, find hope and renewal, and discover ways to contribute to our work in the world.
- Inside: Inclusiveness increases with a 21st-century audio/visual system, air conditioning, and flexible seating. Replacing the carpet and keeping the labyrinth at its heart ensure everyone’s comfort and safety as well as the gifts of beauty and peace.
We Are Ready!
To get to this moment, the Capital Campaign Committee has worked with the Building Committee to assess our needs, solicit quotes, and plan the campaign. Rev. Nancy adds her enthusiastic support and inspiration.
Our consultant Kay Crider, from Stewardship for Us, has met with FUCSJ leaders, reviewed our plans, and affirms that we are ready for the next steps.
- September 19 and 26: Details about the Capital Campaign projects
- October 3 and 10: Town Hall Meetings after service
- Late October: Kay Crider interviews a representative sample of congregants to assess how much we can raise
- Early 2022: Full Capital Campaign begins
Thanks to YOU!
Your support and generosity are what allow us to move forward in this new era. FUCSJ’s can-do spirit is part of our identity, from the launch of this congregation in 1865, to the construction of our building in 1891, to our recovery from the fire in 1995. Now we’ve demonstrated that can-do spirit again in the face of the pandemic.
We all have a part to play in this new era! Join with us in Building a New Way: Creating Space for Radical Inclusion.