The Worship Associates Program
What is the Worship Associates Program?
The Worship Associates Program provides an exciting opportunity for lay involvement in worship. Worship Associates work one-on-one with the ministers to help plan, create and lead Sunday worship. They also set up the worship space each Sunday (except for the floral chancel decorations, which are provided by another committee).
If you are a member of the church and are interested in worship; if you wish to enhance or develop your skills in liturgical design, writing and public speaking; and especially if you wish to deepen your understanding of and involvement in our faith, then the Worship Associates Program might be of interest to you. The Worship Associates Program is reciprocal; you will receive training from our ministers, and the ministers will receive fresh perspectives from you. The congregation benefits from this program by hearing different voices, new viewpoints, and a wider range of service topics.
What are the duties of a Worship Associate?
- All Worship Associates must attend a yearly intensive training session and occasional workshops to develop worship skills, create the worship calendar and build the Worship Team.
- Each Worship Associate makes a commitment to serve for one year (from January through December), to assist the ministers with approximately five to six services during that year, and to set up (and take down) the worship space for another five to six services.
- Assisting a minister with a service involves at least one planning session with the minister, during which the two develop the content and form of the service and decide on roles. The Worship Associate can help in a variety of ways: doing research; locating and/or presenting readings; writing and/or presenting a call to worship, reflection, or story for all ages; designing a special ritual; or choosing and/or leading songs for congregational singing.
- Worship Associates need to attend church regularly and maintain an active involvement in the worship life of the church. They should arrive at least a half an hour early on the days of their participation in a service.
- Over the course of the year, the Worship Associates strive to improve their skills as designers and leaders of worship, and they commit to learning more about the history, traditions and theology of Unitarian Universalism.
How do I apply to become a Worship Associate?
You must be a member of First Unitarian Church of San José before applying to become a Worship Associate. Applications are taken in December of each year; the deadline will be announced. To apply, send a letter with brief answers to the following questions:
1. What is your experience of Unitarian Universalism?
2. Why are you interested in becoming a Worship Associate, and are there any particular things you would like to learn or skills you would like to develop?
3. What qualities, perspectives, or talents would you bring to this position?
4. How would you describe your personal spirituality, theology, or approach to religion?
5. Are you able to commit to the roles and responsibilities described for the Worship Associate?
Please include in the letter your name, address, phone number(s), and email address.
A committee made up of the Worship Associates Coordinator, and the Ministers will review and respond to all the applications received by the December deadline, which will be announced. Consideration will be given to selecting applicants who have the broad interests of the congregation at heart and a desire to create positive worship experiences. It is hoped that the team of Worship Associates will reflect the diversity of our congregation in terms of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, spiritual perspective, and life experience.
For further information call Rev. Nancy (x23) or Rev. Geoff (x25) at the Church Office, (408) 292-3858.